Sunday, October 21, 2007

Coldness at the Cabin


Dan and I decided to drive down to the cabin wednesday night after I got off work. He didn't have school the next morning and I didn't have work so why not? My first suggestion was Jackson Hole but when he found out I didn't get off work until 6:30 p.m. he wasn't so game. Anywho, it was nice to get away. I had envisioned a nice relaxing morning with a good breakfast and some games and just hanging out. Dan said he'd start the fire while I got breakfast going. It was really yummy! Bacon, eggs and french toast! I haven't had a breakfast like that in a long time. While we ate I was so cold. Afterward I bundled up in blankets and curled up on the couch. After what seemed like hours of being frozen in that same position I discovered that Dan had never started a fire AND the front door was open! I think he said he was letting in some sunshine. :) Things didn't happen exactly as I planned but oh well. I was seriously freezing and we soon just packed up and started home. What made the trip for me was our decision to go home by way of the back dirt road that ends up in Avon. I'd never been on that road and always wanted to. Our little car was a trooper! As was Dan, the driver. After summiting, the road got super muddy. I wasn't sure we would make it. But thanks to Dan's tricky manuevering we arrived safely in Avon over an hour later. What a beautiful drive! A whole lot better than the freeway although maybe a little more intense. We love the cabin! What a great place to get away to every now and then. And sorry if I made you sound like a jerk, Dan, but I was so cold! You're welcome to submit a rebuttal if you like. :)

7 comments:

Daniel and Angie Callister said...

Dan's rebuttal:
Let it be known that I tried to start a fire and after slaving for what must have been hours I felt confident that there was enough fuel and heat in the stove to keep us warm through the next ice age. But that darn antique of an oven (probably on the ship with Thomas Callister) aparently refused to cooperate. As for the door, well,... it was pretty outside. Plus, Angie's a survivor - it's always healthy to test our limits, that's the only way we'll grow; now we know that Angie can't survive in subzero temperatures, I hope she knows there are harder ways to learn that lesson. I was warmed by the love of my sweetheart and hardly noticed the cold :)

Von and Maureen said...

Dan and Angie,

That story seemed to come righ out of the Jake and Annie book of tales and adventures. Dan makes some very interesting....and heart warming arguments. Annie would argue that her life is a test of her survival. She roams our house sheathed in blankets and wearing her moon boots. Like Dan of Angie, I am so proud of her skills!
Very funny Dangie!

Jake

Rachel Ure said...

so angie, why weren't you nagging on dan every second until he got that fire started? thats how i get things done. My most vivid memories of the cabin have to do with extreme temperatures so when i read the title of your post i was like " yah, sounds about right" actually my most vivid memory of the cabin was a cold night when iwas 5 or so. there were like 50 cousins and uncles sprawled out everywhere. it was the middle of the night and i could not make it too the bathroom. so i called for dad to help me and some uncle grabbed my arm from the darkness and led me to the toilet. awkward. gotta love cabin memories

Josh said...

let me help if i may... we (callister boys) leave the door open like that because it is actually warmer outside than inside the cabin. and if you wonder why we are up early and outside walking or some such thing, refer to argument above...the secret is it is warmer outside than inside the cabin. Deena will just say "i am freezing" every few seconds until i realize i must do something about it.

Annie and Jake Callister said...

My theory is that we(the girls) are not the cold freaks that our men think we are, but that the callister men have a thin protective coating of heat absorbent steel or something just under their skin that makes it impossible for coldness to seep through.....it's totally possible

Josh said...

Caleb says,,,Dear Dan, i hope you had fun at the cabin. i hope your breakfast was good. i heard it was. and in the backyard did you see any coyotes at night?

Von and Maureen said...

You never want to be the first ones to use the cabin in the winter!!!! always, always wait untill uncle Neuman or someone else has been there a couple days , then go up. That is the only way. I guess my boys got toughened by our cold trips to the cabin, not to mention the trips in the VW bus in winter when They all had to sit in sleeping bags because there was no heat. Remember that? fun times mom