Friday, May 1, 2009

Vernal '92ish


A few weeks ago I decided to undertake a project I'd been considering for a year or two now. I wanted to start writing some memories I have of people in my life so I don't forget them. I originally limited it to my siblings and parents, but I've been adding random friends as good stories pop back into my mind. This is a story from my "Jacob File" that I thought was worth sharing:

Dad took me and jake on a work trip to Vernal once. I was probably 10 or so which would have made Jacob about 14. Dad had dropped us off at the dinosaur museum while he ran to a meeting or something and was going to come back to pick us up afterwards. We quickly saw all the museum had to offer and before long found ourselves sitting on a bench by the sidewalk in front of the museum singing “War, huh! … what is it good for?!” clapping our hands and singing in our best most shameless  black guy voices while we danced around the bench infront of passing traffic. I think a procession of kindergarten kids even passed us on the sidewalk with their teacher. I’m sure they were very afraid and upset by the spectacle, but we had a lot of fun before dad picked us up. 

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

These are the funnest kinds of blog posts. I just love remembering--though I wasn't there with you, I can totally picture the two of you doing that! Poor kindergarteners.
Keep writin' them, Dan!!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Dan,
You have given me a gift more precious than any other- The remembrance of that hilarious moment in our shared experience. I had completely forgotten that, but it came back crystal clear. Annie can attest that I laughed myself to tears just now. Your picture and description were wonderful but what people need to understand is how uninhibited we were about this irreverance. We full on held the first anit-war protest in Uintah County...probably ever...and we were too ignorant to even know it...and, incidentally, during a time of peace.

What a great moment. If Dad had only known.

Rachel Ure said...

love the origional mixed media picture. I had no idea that that song said "war..." interesting.