Thursday, December 3, 2009

Got a job, and other happenings of late




Angie and I were boardgame pawns for halloween. Angie made the costumes
Well, those of you who know I was laid off about a month ago know that I've been searching for a job since then. I've been applying all over the western United States to different GIS positions, but haven't seen any luck yet. After talking with some of my colleagues where I had been working and speaking with Jacob and some of my old professors Angie and I decided now was a great time to go back to school. So I've been applying to different programs around. My goal is a career in rural/regional planning. There are some good Masters programs here at USU, and at the University of Idaho for bioregional planning that came highly recommended by those I have spoken to. I had a ball studying for the GRE (not really), and it went pretty well. I've applied to the University of Idaho, the University of Montana, and the University of Utah. Utah and Montana are not exactly what I was looking for, but they are great planning programs and I would consider either of them if accepted. Getting desperate for some kind of income I've been lowering my expectations and applying to janitor positions and the like. We need something to keep us going while we're waiting for school to start (next September). Well, I finally got a job that fits the bill pretty nicely. It's working as a mail-sorter at a private company that's just about 5 blocks away from us. The pay isn't bad for the kind of work it is, plus I'll work about 16 hours of overtime each week (it's 7 days/wk through January). It's swing shift, so I can sleep like a normal person and still have my mornings to keep looking for a job/doing school application stuff. Unfortunately, it means I have to sacrifice all of my regular evening activities (i.e. Scouts, our game group and sunday dinners with the inlaws). So anyways- there's a quick update on what's been happening with us lately. Angie and I have been seeing a lot of each other lately, which is fun, but I think Angie is ready for me to be some where else all day :) All in all, life is pretty good

5 comments:

Rachel Ure said...

interesting job. good luck with school. your costumes rock! angie's got skeels

ChrisG said...

Congrats on the job, Dan! And good job on the costumes, Angie! Let's have lunch sometime...

Aimee said...

Yeah! a new post!
Great to hear about the job Dan...although you will be missed greatly on Sunday evenings...by all of us, not just the kids:o)
I'd still love to get some pictures of you guys in your costumes "farming" and the like. Some of my in-laws would get a kick out of it.
Love you two!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Work is always good Dan. It sounds like you are making the best of your situation. Can't do better than that. Pat yourself on the back for doing what you have to do to provide as best you can!

We will be crossing our fingers for you to get accepted to a school that will turn out well for you and Angie.

I do love those costumes. We played Caracassan with friends for the first time in a while, I forgot how much I love it!!!

Jake

Rebekah said...

Wow. Big decisions--going back to school, halloween costumes, jobs, ...sounds like fun times.
You really can't go wrong getting more education, even though it can be a challenge.
Hope you are enjoying the holiday season!!
Love and smiles!