Monday, May 27, 2013

America's Stonehenge

I recently learned about the existence of stone-age ruins right here in New Hampshire. Angie and I took the short drive to Salem, NH near the Mass border to check them out. It was really cool! They've dated some of the ruins at 2,000 BC. There were complete chambers to walk through, which was really awesome.





Some archaeologists think they were built by visitors to the New World. I'm not so sure about that, but some of the chambers were slightly reminiscent of burial chambers we explored in Ireland from the same period:

After further research, I learned there are sites like this all over New England. I can't wait to go out and find my own!

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

Oh, thanks for posting photos. I was wondering what you found there. Looks really cool!

ChrisG said...

I had no idea! Cool!

Aimee said...

How fun :)
I've always loved that picture of you and Ang in Ireland!

Deborah and Stephen said...

Very cool.. you guys really do live in a nifty spot :)

Von and Maureen said...

This land has had lots of different peoples living here, we are really just beginning to recognize it......I love that kind of stuff!!! Wow!

Cedar and Sage said...

Whew.. that's cool Dan. I just read that they found a collection of nearly 5,000 cave painting down in Northern Mexico. There are so many treasures to be found! Thanks for sharing.

Rebekah said...

SO wish we could have joined you!
We definitely want to hook up for the next adventure--and if you are willing to do it again, we would love to visit this with you sometime!