Thursday, January 27, 2011

DJ Daniel James



So I finally get to fulfill one of my life-long dreams, that of being a radio DJ! The opportunity arose last November as I was speaking with a friend’s wife who had her own radio show on the Washington State University radio station. She said she just applied and was given a time slot and that she’s sure the University of Idaho has something similar. I looked into it and they do, KUOI is the University’s radio station and they just happened to be accepting applications for volunteers to host radio shows throughout the day. I applied, and they gave me a show!

Now, I had always wanted to be a DJ and thought that would be the best job in the world, but I hated the thought of having to play music I didn’t like. The great thing about KUOI is it’s public radio and apart from a few public service announcements and the weather, it’s 100% Dan’s music. It’s totally up to me and I can play whatever I want (so long as it’s appropriate). It’s like I’ve died and gone to heaven.

My show is from Noon to 2:30 every Wednesday and I call it “Long Strange Trip”, the show is dedicated to underappreciated folk/rock of the 60s and 70s. My first full show was yesterday and it went pretty darn well. Anyone interested can follow this link to stream KUOI live

http://kuoi.org:8000/kuoi.m3u

Tune in next week!

11 comments:

Aimee said...

that's pretty nifty Dan. we're going to have to check it out!

Von and Maureen said...

this is mom at Jacob's.....we tuned in and it was way cool and I thought you did a fabulous job. Seemed to be a natural.....and loved the bits of history we recieved for some of the songs. You know your stuff. Loved it Dan, will be a follower from now on. Mom

Rachel Ure said...

you are a man of many talents- and surprising ones at that. i will tune in.

Deborah and Stephen said...

awesome dan..... crazy and awesome! I would be so nervous to that, well done dan.. well done! :)

Rebekah said...

We can't wait to have our boys listen to Uncle Dan on the radio!

Josh said...

Totally jealous! Can't wait to check out what the DJ has spinning wednesdays at noon. Give me a shout out sometime!

Janet O. said...

We are very excited that this dream has been realized for you. Gregg has already checked out the station and he can listen in at work. I am hoping I can join in on this new computer, but haven't tried it out yet. Looking forward to hearing DJ Dan.

ChrisG said...

Hey Dan! I heard a bit of your show today before heading off to teach. ILoved it!

Janet O. said...

Dan--heard the show today. Great job! You are playing music from my era. I recognize the artists, but not the music. I guess I was usually listening to John Denver and Carole King. How do you find this stuff? And how do you know so much about it?

Rachel Ure said...

had a lot of fun listening to your show dan. I caught about half of it. it reminded me of being in the car with you- or the snoasis and patiently waiting my turn to play my own music while appreciating yours. I loved the stevie wonder song and the other kinda funky stuff. I think this is really a fun way for you to celebrate the music you love. cool

Rachel Ure said...

i listened in on your station today. it is very cool, dan. once again, i love the funk stuff