Thursday, July 15, 2010

Patience pays-off

Since I've been on furlough from work I've been biking to first dam and fishing 2 or 3 times a week. It's good exercise and it helps my furlough feel more like a weekend than a lay-off :)

Some days I do pretty good, catching 2 or 3 little rainbows or browns, but they're never big enough to get excited about. In fact I think the biggest I'd caught (or watched anyone catch) in first dam was around 9 inches. It's kind of a fun little community up there, lots of old timers are there every day at the same time in the same spot. They all come separately but they know each others' names and there are some funny little chats that I over hear. The weather is always really nice and every once in a while I'll see a deer or something to keep me interested. I usually take a book and spend about 90 minutes there before coasting home.

Today I was taken completely off guard when I reeled in this monster brown trout:


I never keep anything that I catch, but I made an exception today. He was 19" and 2.4lbs, easily the biggest fish I've caught in Logan canyon. There were some other anglers nearby and they were floored! It was pretty exciting

7 comments:

Aimee said...

yeah Dan! How did he taste?

Von and Maureen said...

Way to go!!! YOu know what they say....."the early biker catches the big brown trout". You should frame him:), or maybe just eat him. Love you Mom

Josh said...

sheesh! lets bring our fishing poles on the next driveway we do and see what happens1

Von and Maureen said...

That's my boy, Dan. I can imagine how exited you were as this lunker got close to shore. This kind of day is what keeps us going fishing. Thanks for sharing, Dad

ChrisG said...

Nice catch!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Sweet Dan!!
You already assembling your "old man stories" and now you have something to share with your friends there. Way to stick in you thumb and pull out a plumb!!

Deborah and Stephen said...

Jeez Dan! I thought the Loch ness monster was supposed to be in Scotland... not in Logan Canyon! Thank you for defunking that mystery! Next one for the sake of Angie.... Big Foot! Hope it taste good!

-Stephen